I had the most mellow Halloween I have probably ever had. I didn't have the chance to get creative and make my costume, so I had to throw something together last minute. I was also working, so that put a damper on the holiday as well. I still pulled off and good 'n sexy Daisy Duke. It wasn't quite as enjoyable as Britney last year, but that one will be hard to beat!
Bike rides and beach runs continue to be my exercises of choice. I can't explain how refreshing it is to run along the beach jamming to tunes while watching kids roll naked in the sand, build sand castles and romp toys through the water. I admire teens being teens, hippies hoola hooping and flame-throw practicing, surfers chasing the perfect wave, and older folks living it up happily retired. And then there's me: A mountain girl on winter hiatus mingling with the SoCal peeps and appreciating every last second of it!
Recently, the plantain tree in the backyard produced an entire bunch of ripe fruit. Being the baker extraordinaire that I am, I wasted no time to find a ride to the store to stalk up on my baking necessities. I have now made six loaves of bread and they have been getting inhaled faster than I imagined. On top of my weekly cookies, making plantain bread has been a blast. I'm thinking of continuing to make it and sell it to some of the cafes around town. There are a few places that don't make their own pastries, so I figure that local Leucadian Plantain Bread would be a hot ticket! To the knowledge of my roommates, this is the first time that someone has cooked with the fruit. I set aside a loaf for the longtime landlord, so I trust he will appreciate the gesture as much as all my new buddies!
My jewelry making has taken a back-burner position until I start selling it. I decided the other day that I need to start wearing my necklaces in attempt to begin the selling process. Sure enough, I sold my first necklace off of me at work the other night! As I approached a table of two younger guys, one of them immediately commented on the blue pendant necklace I was donning. "Thanks," I said. "I made it, and it's for sale." He replied flatly. "How much, I'll buy it." It was that easy! I was so stoked and he was just as happy to support a local jeweler. There are a couple of places that I'm going to look into seeing if I can't score a corner to set my jewels out around town. Once I sell I can get back to making which is the best part! There are a couple of great bead stores in town, and I really look forward to tapping into what they have to offer for materials for me.
As I write I am experiencing the first hearty downpour of rain since I moved here two months ago. It's refreshing, but when you're used to Pleasantville, it's bittersweet. It's great to see SoCal get the moisture, but I want my sun! I'm so glad I get it every other day of the year damn near!
Bless up, big love and much respect,
Brett

Daisy Duke
Cherry
No comments:
Post a Comment