A resolution is a good way of committing to change, and there's some changes I definitely need to instill in my life with the birth of the new year. First, my health. My body is my temple and I need to continue to respect it as such. I care so much about treating it physically well for activity and sports, but I need to start treating it nutrient-well for longevity and internal health. My focus will be to get back to a healthier eating plan, and more importantly, less alcohol consumption. Since my move west, I have admittedly been using alcohol as a crutch. Now that I am beginning to settle into my new life more and more, I need to settle into a healthier lifestyle.
My career is quite possibly the part of my life that troubles me the most for 2009. I would give anything to be doing journalism full time right now, but I know that it's not realistic at the moment. I still need to get back on my feet financially before I can take the time to make journalism my career. I have big dreams and aspirations for my freelance ambitions, and I know in due time these ideas will come to fruition. I need to be one with time and let things come in their own time. Be 'in praise of slowness...'
On a lighter note, I've finally accepted that I am in a huge transitional period of my life. I'm happy with where I'm at, but eager to see where the path of life takes me. Yet another reason to look forward to 2009.
In perfect Brett fashion, I've been successful at spending my days away from the restaurant baking, recreating and seeking out reggae music. Another aspiration on the writing side is to start a reggae blog. So many people come to me in regards to shows, new music, etc. that I need to start using this to my advantage and help spread the love to others as well as help promote the music genre I love so much. My baking is another area I hope to expand in 2009. I would give anything to get to bake for people and get paid to do it. I've been talking to a lot of people lately about my idea of starting a bakery. Yet another balloon in the air for my 2009. Over Thanksgiving and Christmas I made numerous pies which were all honestly my best products yet. From pecan streussel pumpkin pie to classic pecan to four-berry pie, I filled the stomachs and hearts of many this holiday season. Soon my latest batch of plantains will ripen, and I'll back to bread production. This time I'm going to hit all the cafes in town and see if I can't pawn a few off.
I always say how I need to write daily, and I'm always trying to figure out a good way to hold to it. Kind of like daily exercise. My latest idea is to write about one topic from my list of topics titled 'blog.' This way I can spend the time and energy to write in detail, and work on my writing. I still have three stories I'm working on for this winter. I hope at least one of them will surface in the likes of Powder, SKi, Sking and maybe even Women's Adventure or Outside.
More for 2009:
-my Web site
-help women, etc. and/or work for a non-profit
-a bakery
-a steady writing gig
-reggae
-horses, bikes, surfboard, skis, camping
I could go on.
Enjoy a picture of me and my parents catching a great day on the hill when I was home!
Love and light for a healthy 2009!
Brett
December 20, 2008
No comments:
Post a Comment