Sunday, September 7, 2008

My first official blog from SoCal! I've been here a week and a half, and I couldn't be more elated about it. I've found a room I'll move into on the 15th, I'm hard at work with the job that got me out here and I'm eagerly awaiting to settle so I can ship bikes and borrow a surf board.
Since I've been here, I've been helping my good friend Adryan Ritter put together a show for well-know snowboard photographer Tim Zimmerman. The show was part of Travis Rice's, 'That's It, That's All' movie premiere which took place on Friday night in a swanky music/restaurant venue in downtown San Diego. The show went well, and Tim was able to display and sell some of the most epic prints from the most progressive snow movie I've ever seen. The movie crew was able to borrow the same camera that National Geographic uses. The clarity and color this camera captures trumps any other camera with no comparison.
The job with Adryan (which got me out here) has been going great. I am a copy writer for an e-commerce website, the-house.com. I am in charge of writing short product descriptions for the 10,000+ products they sell. Not only do I get to hone in on my writing style voice, it's also a healthy challenge for my vocabulary as well as a refresher for all the new technology and products currently flooding the action sports scene. It's a well-paying job on top of being open ended. We are working on back-stock items now, and within the next couple of weeks, the new website will be launching with all of the 2009 products to dive into.
Aside from that, I will work on a restaurant job as well as pursue freelance jobs for winter. I hope to establish myself as a traveling freelance writer covering various events, functions, etc.
The room I got is located in Leucadia, a small, funky community squished between Encinitas and Carlsbad. I'll be living with two older guys (thankfully) in an old, chill beach house. It's one block from the beach and what-will-be my new surf spot, Beacon's. I'm looking forward to getting back in the waves, and eventually getting my own board back out here.
Since I've been here I've met a ton of great people in the snowboard and skate industry. I've also met some great great people in the editorial and publishing world within the area. I feel that the more influential people I meet, the more opporunities will start to flow my way.
After riding my bike three to four days a week all summer long at home, I'm definitely missing my wheels as well as the exercise. I hope to get my road bike sent out in the next week. Pacific Coast Highway is right out my door and is chalk-full of road bikers during all hours of the day. I'll join a group ride or two, and settle in as an urban biker. I've also been invited to join a co-ed soccer league. Once I inherit my hand-me-down car from Adryan, I will be able to hit a game or two and get back into a sport I love so much but that I'm never healthy enough to play! On that note--I PROMISE you all that I will take it easy and not play like I'm a 17 year-old jock. I'll be so thankful to be back on the field that just getting to kick the ball will tickle my fancy. I've been going on short beach runs, and so far I haven't had any soreness in my pelvis or back from the impact. I realize that the soccer field is a different story and will be well aware of how aggressive I'm testing my body's soccer-playing capabilities.
The weather out here has been my best friend. As Adryan calls it, 'Groundhog Day' is just that, and it's fantastic! Every time I talk to someone back in Colorado, I get all giddy inside knowing that I'm not experiencing the recent change of temperature and change of leave color. As much as I love the beauty of changing seasons, my body is happy to continue soaking up the California sunshine.
I am now camera-less, and until I get some cash flow going, I won't be able to share my daily images with you all. Once I'm back to snapping shots, I'll be sure to share my new lifestyle with all of you.
I wish my best to each and all of you. I hope my blog finds everyone healthy and happy.
Until Brett's next ramble...
Peace and Love!
Brett

No comments:

Details..

My photo
Encinitas, CA, United States
www.myspace.com/crazybbuckles www.facebook.com www.BrettBuckles.com (under construction)