Settling into SoCal life is finally starting to happen. I still haven't nailed down a job, but should know by Monday or Tuesday if I have a server position at a bar and grill in downtown Encinitas. On the journalism side of things, I spent the weekend in San Francisco attending a Professional Athlete Women's conference put on by The Stone Clinic in partnership with SheJumps.org. I can't express enough how motivational and inspiring it was for me to sit in the same room with 30+ women who all aspire to make a career out of skiing. I went more for the media networking aspect of the weekend, and I feel very accomplished with the contacts I made. I talked with editors from Ski, Ski Racing, ESPN the magazine and Athleta catalog just to name a few. Although I didn't walk away with a job (that would have been way too ideal), I did walk away with a handful of possible job opportunities to transpire in the future. The actual job I came out here to do has unfortunately dissolved. This unfortunate event has only made me that much more motivated to charge full speed ahead for writing and ski coverage opportunities this winter.
I've been spending my days pounding the pavement with resume in hand. It's a humbling experience to return to the days of restaurant and retail jobs. But as I explain daily, anything is better than no income, which is what I have had to face for the last eight months of my life post skiing accident.
I've been trying to get out on road bike rides and went on a nice ride yesterday. On the way I met an ultra-cyclist who works at a triathlon-geared bike shop here in town. In addition to being a great contact for ride routes, George will also be a good person to know for bike maintenance. Just the other night I got a flat. I ended up breaking spokes and paying $60 for a tune-up and rim repair. Perhaps next time I'll get a friendly discount. ;o)
I'm coming into my own with SoCal mentality. As most of you tell me, I already dress the part. Perhaps my most stylish accessory here has been my sunglasses. The new rage is the re-introduction of Ray-Ban's Wayfarers as well as Oakley's Frogskins. Or any other trendy, expensive pair of sporty shades for that matter. Challenging stereotypes and trends as always, I am sporting a pair of 1980-something Taiwan-made knock-offs of these old school, new school sunglasses. I'm nearly positive they came from the Steamboat Ski Area lost-and-found when the 'hostesses' now called 'ambassadors' got first dibs. Those were the days my mom came home with new shades, gloves and goggles for us daily. The frames are red with white arms. Naturally, I have tagged them with my rasta tape and they are now the coolest sunglasses around. I get compliments on them constantly. I can only accept and laugh at my re-invented rocking trend!
I'm off to the beach. Even though I only live one block away, I haven't been there in over a week because I only associate it with 'play.' I feel that I cannot just 'play' until I have a job and an income to justify my idle time. Wish me luck on the continued hunt!
Bless!
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
Details..
- Brett Buckles
- Encinitas, CA, United States
- www.myspace.com/crazybbuckles www.facebook.com www.BrettBuckles.com (under construction)
1 comment:
Woot woot! Keep it up! I just got a job at a great bank here in PDX! All I need is a place of my own and I'm set!
much love,
kevin
Post a Comment