Sunday, January 4, 2009

Football!

Working at a sports bar in San Diego is a little like working at an apres ski bar in a resort town. Come College Football Saturday and NFL Sunday, people are ready to party. And as of late, San Diegoans are more than supportive of their rallying Chargers. Before I left Colorado during my trip, there was one final stop I had to make before DIA: Sports Authority so I could get my grubby little hands on a Broncos jersey. I've been ashamed all season long to cruise into work every Sunday not supporting my home team. Especially with the turn of events that went down between the Broncos and the Chargers last week. I debuted my Brandon Marshall (15) Jersey during the conference game. I received every comment possible from, "Are you really wearing that jersey?" To "Your bold to wear that, but I commend you for it." I was proud to sport blue and orange with pride. Regardless of the fact that the I knew the Chargers were on just that and ready to squash the Donkeys like an elephant to a possum. Let's just say I added a little spice to the mix, a little fuel to the fire. How boring if there were only Chargers jerseys in the house? "BAM!" As Emeril would say.

Last night the Chargers' pride was cranked up a few notches at D Street. The game started at 5, but by 4 o'clock the place was filling up faster than the ladies' bathroom on a Saturday night. People were hovering for free-for-all tables, chairs and even standing room alone. Thanks to the near 50 tvs in the place, we accommodated a maximum occupancy and kept the alcohol pouring as fast as the Chargers were rushing. Again it was a no-brainer for me to wear my Colorado colors. Now I was just asking for shit. People were more than ready to dish it out, but I was more than ready to take it. I renamed it my 'R.I.P. Shanahan' shirt. Even Charger fans thought that was an intense turn of events for Denver. As the game progressed, so did the drunkenness of the building. By the final touchdown in OT the place was on their feet, fists in the air and vocal cords maxed out. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in every sports bar in San Diego. I assumed the decibel level could have provided the city's electricity for at least a minute or two.

On the note of football, I'll resort back to my Thanksgiving day and my game-winning pass in true Favre (get it?) style during a 3-on-3 pick-up game. Turkey Day marked the first solid day I had the time to roll downtown and chill out with Tom and Kelly Gallo. We headed over to Coronado island where Tom's good buddy Willem lives. He leads an incredibly rough life fixing up houses on the island for his dad during idle home-time from racing sailboats in Florida. Before we collectively gorged ourselves we strolled over to a park on the beach for some calorie burning. The group consisted of me, Tom, Kelly, Tom's friends Willem, Todd, Kristen and two Aussie racing buddies of Willem's, Pauli and Mike. We tossed the Frisbee until it cracked in half and broke. On to football. Naturally, I was the only woman participating. I didn't do much. I would catch a pass here and attempt to throw a long ball there. Really I just ran around and provided a little bit of deterrence and defense. Once the game was dragging we called the two-point win and end to the game. Somehow my team was up. Pauli went out on a limb and threw me a long pass. I caught it like a pro, cocked back and threw a perfect spiral to Willem in the end zone. TOUCHDOWN! We won the game from my sand-bagger pass. YESSSSS! Apart from my scrumptious pies and the Lutan Fyah show later in the night, that was the highlight of my day of Giving Thanks.

Signing out. San Diego---Super Chargers!!!

Brett

No comments:

Details..

My photo
Encinitas, CA, United States
www.myspace.com/crazybbuckles www.facebook.com www.BrettBuckles.com (under construction)