Friday, January 9, 2009

On This Momentous Day...

It's almost impossible to fathom that just one year ago was the worst day of my life. I'd be hard pressed to deny that today marks one of the greatest days of my life. I was treated to my morning wake-up call from my mom especially early this morning. Luckily I was up, in bed, sipping my morning cup of jet fuel and clicking away on my MacBook. "Isn't it a little early to be calling me after closing the bar last night?" I answered her 8 a.m. call as sassy as Brett knows how to be. "Happy anniversary to you," my mom sang chipperly to me. Wow, yes, I'm out of the dark with my pelvis. But honestly, I've already had the joy of feeling that way for the majority of my 12-month recovery.

After my morning rituals, I geared up for a coast along the coast peddling my road bike. My first visions this morning were filled with overcast sky, but as I procrastinated, the blue sky began to win Mother Nature's heart. Not to mention mine. As I cycled south through Solana Beach and Del Mar, I thought about every body part damaged. From head to toe: I seem to have no lasting side effects from my concussion. Any short term memory loss is my own doing. My shoulder is at about 98 percent strength I would guess. Once I'm feeling back to health from my cold, I'm eager to get my eight-feet-full-of-fun back in the water where it belongs. My pelvis I haven't thought about since probably my last physical therapy appointment for it. My sacrum lets me know it's there every day, but it has yet to slow me down. My knee feels great, and now that I think about it, my ankle no longer erupts like jiffy pop when I initiate my first steps each morning. I happy to have life and limbs--literally.

Today is the second World Cup Ski Cross event of the season. It's taking place in France, the same country I left from a year ago and change on an emergency flight via private jet. I checked qualification results this morning from this afternoon's event, and I was elated to see my best 'mate' on the tour, Aussie Jenny Owens, had a fantastic day and landed number two at day's end. It's refreshing--in a positive way--to no longer see Frenchie Ophelie David run away with every competition as if no other women decided to step into the gate. She's finally being given a run for her money. I was also happy to see that one of my replacements, Caitlin Ciccone qualified 24th. I wish her and Langely McNeal all the support and good fortune in the world!

Off to work--more on this later!

Love,

brett

No comments:

Details..

My photo
Encinitas, CA, United States
www.myspace.com/crazybbuckles www.facebook.com www.BrettBuckles.com (under construction)